Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Meet Megan

Every patient finds his own path to OPC. For Megan, her journey to our facility began while watching ReBuilt on the Discovery Health Channel. After seeing Elliot and the staff working for their patients, she looked at her mom and said, "If I end up losing my leg, this is where I want to go.”

Already struggling with severe leg issues and infections, she credits the television show for providing the reassurance that she was seeking. "Watching the staff interact with patients and seeing how committed they are helped me realize that if it came down to amputation, I would be OK."

Megan did not take the decision to amputate her right leg lightly.

I lost my right leg above the knee on Sept. 10, 2007, after a 3 year battle with recurrent knee infections that destroyed my joint completely. The decision to amputate was mine. I did my research, created a list of PROs and CONs about amputation, talked with every member of my family individually about it, and then talked to my surgeons. Everyone agreed that my reasons were good ones.

Although her journey has not been smooth and her recovery has been wrought with infections and setbacks, Megan has never lost her focus. Her amputation has not interfered with her working towards achieving her goals and dreams.

I'm 27 and trying to finish school between all of my hospitalizations! I've done some freelance writing and have sold some of my black and white photography. I've also done some peer mentoring of new amputees through the hospital where I am treated.

My biggest accomplishment would have to be as a speaker for Kicking For Kids Who Can't in 2009. I gave a speech on the National Mall in DC sharing my personal story of how I'd lost my leg and providing some hope for other amputees and the parents of children with limb loss.

Megan believes in giving back to the amputee community. She is often called to mentor new amputees at her local hospital and is on-line.

My best advice to new amputees is to allow themselves to feel all of the emotions that come with amputation and not try to feel invincible. There will be some bad days and you have to let yourself have them and afterward you pick yourself back up, dust yourself off, and keep moving forward. I've learned to live with my limb loss by attacking it all with humor including creating amputee T-shirts and by connecting with others who have lost limbs.

Amputation is not the end of the world. It changes certain things, but it's entirely up to you whether it's a change for the better or not. Positivity and a sense of humor go a very long way!

Megan is an extraordinary young lady and we are proud that she has chosen OPC to provide her prosthetic care. Her outlook, perseverance and resolve exemplifies courage and grace.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, this person looks very familar...hehehe

    ReplyDelete